Dell PowerEdge 12th Generation Servers (R720, R620, T620)
Dell's PowerEdge 12th Generation servers tackle key challenges that IT organizations face, especially in virtual IT environments. This generation shows significant improvements in system performance and density to fit the needs of growing data:
- New Intel Xeon E5-2600 or E5-2600 v2 Product Family offers up to 12 cores per CPU and supports internal QuickPath interconnect link speeds up to 8 GT/s. (Compared to max QPI speeds of 6.4GT/s in Generation 11 systems)
- Systems boast increased DDR3 memory density along with higher frequency and load reduced DIMM options for incredibly flexible, scalable and high performing memory configurations.
- For example, the R720 includes 24 DIMM slots, maximum memory speed of 1866MT/s, and a maximum memory capacity of 768GB compared to the R710 that includes 18 DIMM Slots, max memory speeds of 1333MHz, and max capacity of 288GB.
- In addition, the 12th generation servers allow higher memory configurations before slowing the memory operating speed. The 11th generation servers cannot exceed 96GB before dropping below 1333 MHz, while the new 12th generation servers can go past that speed and still maintain the maximum speed.
New I/O Options:
- Dell's Select Network Adapter offers flexible, integrated, LAN-on-Motherboard (LOM) networking options to allow customers to react faster to changing network infrastructure needs without replacing the system or taking up precious PCI-E slots
- PCI-E Gen 3 technology offers double the total potential bandwidth per slot, and offers increased clock, data, and transfer rates.
Storage Performance and Capacity Enhancements:
- PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controllers (PERC) Cards feature non-volatile memory (NVM) and support for CacheCade—the ability to use solid state disks (SSDs) as an expanded cache for enhanced throughput
- Dell's Express Flash PCIe-SSDs are hot-pluggable, front accessible, high performance supplements to the increased storage capacities in the new rack and tower models.
- iDRAC7 with optional Lifecycle Controller licensing offers agentless, real-time out of band (OOB) monitoring, inventory, and alerting for servers, storage and networking
The 12th Generation PowerEdge server line offers the next level of advanced innovation in high performance computing for growing small and mid-size business needs. The R720, R620, and T620 accomplish even more than their 11th Generation predecessors. Each newly updated server line provides improved operational efficiency, the latest firmware to keep data safe, and major performance enhancements to maximize throughput at every system architecture level. Aventis Systems uses these server solutions as an option for advanced server roles for today's demanding IT environments, such a virtualization clusters and database roles.
The 2U dual socket Dell PowerEdge R720 rackmount server is a great choice for the small to midsized business in need of enterprise-class application performance from an energy efficient workhorse with next generation features. Harnessing the power of the dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 and E5-2600 v2 series quad core, six core, eight core, ten and twelve-core processors, up to 768GB (24 x 32GB) of DDR3 RAM, and up to 50TB of SATA, SAS, or solid state storage across up to twenty-six 2.5" drives or up to twelve 3.5" drives, the Dell PowerEdge R720 provides tremendous value, performance and application flexibility. The R720 can readily handle very demanding workloads, such as data warehouses, e-commerce, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), databases and high performance computing (HPC) as a data node.
Highly efficient redundant power supplies, dual RAID controller support, seven PCIe slots providing powerful and flexible I/O options, and four onboard gigabit NICs round out the impressive feature set of the PowerEdge R720. Whether deploying a web, application, database or virtualization server, the Dell PowerEdge R720 is a fine choice for the SMB looking to take the next step in state-of-the-art server technology to launch their business forward.
The Dell PowerEdge R620 rack server is an impressive general purpose platform in a slim 1U form factor, ideal for businesses with space constraints. Harnessing the power of dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 and E5-2600 v2 series quad core, six core, and eight core, ten and twelve-core processors, up to 768GB of DDR3 RAM and up to 12TB of SATA, SAS or Solid State storage across ten 2.5" hot-plug drive bays, the Dell PowerEdge R620 provides tremendous value and performance where rack space is limited. Highly efficient redundant power supplies, three x16 Gen3 PCIe slots providing powerful and flexible I/O options, and four onboard gigabit NICs round out the impressive feature set of the PowerEdge R620.
Whether deploying a web, application, database or virtualization server cluster, the Dell PowerEdge R620 is a fine choice for the SMB looking for big performance, in a small package. The 1U dual socket Dell PowerEdge R620 rackmount server is a great choice for the small to mid-sized business in need of enterprise-class application performance in an energy efficient, ultra-dense footprint.
The Dell PowerEdge T620 is a powerful, yet quiet-running dual socket tower server or 5U rackmount providing the ideal blend of enterprise-class performance and options with value for the small business running a single server, or remote office needing local application support. With the robust feature-set, flexible expansion options and room to grow, the T620 is perfect for demanding consolidation projects or virtualization environments in growing small or medium businesses. Whether deploying a web, application, database, messaging or virtualization server, the Dell PowerEdge T620 represents a terrific entry point into the latest technology and is a fine choice for the SMB or enterprise remote office looking for big performance from a tower form factor.
Harnessing the power of dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 and E5-2600 v2 series quad core, six core, and eight core, ten and twelve-core processors, up to 768GB of DDR3 RAM and up to 48TB of SATA, SAS or solid state storage across either up to twelve 3.5" or thirty-two 2.5" hot-plug drive bays, the Dell PowerEdge T620 provides tremendous value and performance for those looking to grow within a single server. Rounding out the impressive feature set of the PowerEdge T620 are seven PCIe Gen3 slots (four of which are x16) which provide powerful and flexible I/O options, highly efficient redundant power supplies and dual onboard gigabit NICs.
The 12th Generation PowerEdge line is a robust and scalable option for customers interested in building advanced computing environments. The 12th Generation PowerEdge server portfolio addresses the needs from the smallest business to the Enterprise. The platform is designed to maximize available memory capacity, meaning faster processing, and more effective virtual environments. Integrated, comprehensive and easy-to-use management tools allow users to deploy, update, monitor and maintain these systems throughout their lifecycle. Other features include fully optimized I/O bandwidth, increased memory footprints, and flexible high capacity storage options.
Subscribe to Our Content
Stay updated with Aventis Systems' latest blogs, infographics and eBooks to get the IT industry's best content!